USE AND MAINTENANCE OF WOOD FLOORS
For the floor to retain its qualities and serve you for a long time, it requires proper maintenance and ensuring the following conditions:
- Relative humidity in the rooms should be between 40 -65%.
- The temperature in the rooms should be between +18°C - +24°C.
- Replace hard wheels of chairs with soft ones or use special pads under the chairs.
- In order to avoid scratching the floor surface, glue felt or any soft material under the furniture legs.
- Place mats by the entrance to avoid dirt and water on the floor.
- Sweep or vacuum floor on “hard floor” setting.
- Occasionally use a damp, well wrung out cloth or mop.
- In case of spillage, immediately wipe using a non-solvent cleaner.
- For best results, use a recommended floor cleaner. We recommend using eco-friendly SAICOS cleaning products, such as Wash Care/8101Eco.
- Every few years re-coat the flooring with hardwax colourless oil. We recommend SAICOS Colourless/3305.
QUALITIES OF WOOD
Remember that wood is a natural product. Irrespective of the finish, with time wood, will change its color. Wood is especially sensitive to direct sunlight. Floors with 'AQUA' and steam finishing will acquire their final shade only several months after installation.
Depending on the duration and conditions of growth of trees, wood has different shades and textures – it's normal. For example, the color of planks may not be identical, since every tree is of a unique color, every shade looks different covered on different planks. Different patterns of flutes and heart rays make every plank unique.
We recommend checking the quality, finish, and color of the floor before installing. If you have any doubts concerning visual defects, it is very important to submit claims before installation. The manufacturer shall not be liable for floor planks with defects that have been installed. It shall also not be liable for defects arising from: improper storage of floor planks; use and /or installation of floors in unsuitable conditions; improper laying of the planks or unsuitable maintenance.
1. Ecohardwood Oak flooring is covered by a limited 10-year residential warranty against manufacturing defects. No warranty is provided for products installed in any form for commercial use or for any commercial environment.
2. Ecohardwood Limited (company number 08234374) guarantees the customer a period of 10 years from the moment the purchaser is invoiced and is not transferable.
This warranty shall only extend to defects as a direct result of faulty manufacture and not to any other defects or faults.
3. This warranty shall only apply if Ecohardwood floors are:
(a) installed in accordance with our installation instructions
(b) cleaned and maintained in accordance with our instructions
(c) used under normal conditions
4. NO WARRANTY WILL BE OFFERED FOR APPEARANCE RELATED CLAIMS ONCE THE PRODUCT IS INSTALLED. The nominated party “owner, installer or representative” takes ownership and has final responsibility to ensure that they have received the correct species, finish and grade that was selected in store / during client meeting and without any visual defects. It is essential to submit claims before installation. The manufacturer shall not be liable for floor planks with defects that have been installed. It shall also not be liable for defects arising from: improper storage of floor planks, use and /or installation of floors in unsuitable conditions, improper laying of the planks or unsuitable maintenance.
13.5. Ecohardwood Liability:
(a) The defect does not arise as a result of the purchaser’s or any installer’s negligence.
(b) The product has not been previously installed in another location.
(c) Repair has not been undertaken by anyone other than Ecohardwood or authorized representatives of Ecohardwood.
(d) The product is not subject to misuse, abuse, or failure to properly check or install. An Ecohardwood representative must act reasonably while validating the claim under the warranty. This warranty does not form part of any contract of sale, but is not intended to affect, or otherwise, replace, rights and obligations conferred by any contract of sales, or by Common Law. Where the purchaser is a consumer, the purchaser has certain statutory rights regarding the return of defective products, claims in respect of losses caused by Ecohardwood negligence or faulty product, and this warranty shall not affect the purchaser’s statutory rights.
(e) Ecohardwood’s liability under this warranty is limited to the repair or replacement of the products or refund of all or part of the value of the products.
(f) Under this WARRANTY the Manufacturers of ECOHARDWOOD products liability excludes any consequential or incidental occurrences that may arise from any claim and is strictly limited to the replacement of the affected flooring. By this we mean we will not pay for any loss, expense, inconvenience or damage other than to the affected wood floor itself. That means ECOHARDWOOD will refinish, repair or replace product(s) of similar colour, pattern and quality. In the unlikely event that we are unable to refinish, repair or replace product(s), we will refund the portion of failed product(s). This warranty does not include the removal or replacement of furniture, cabinets, fixtures or supplemental costs, including but not limited to relocation during the repair process such as hotel, meals, or moving and storage of furniture. If the replacement or repair fails in the same manner a second time, the site conditions will be deemed unacceptable for the installation of our product(s). These are the exclusive remedies under this limited warranty if a defect or another warranted condition occurs. ECOHARDWOOD reserves the right to verify any claims or defects by inspection and have samples removed for technical analysis.
6. IF YOU ARE A CONSUMER
(a) If We fail to comply with these Terms, We are responsible for loss or damage You suffer that is a foreseeable result of Our breach of these Terms or Our negligence, but We are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if they were an obvious consequence of Our breach or if they were contemplated by You and Us at the time We entered into the Contract.
(b) We only supply the Products to You for domestic and private use. You agree not to use the Products for any commercial, business or re-sale purposes, and We have no liability to You for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
CLAUSES 7 TO 11 APPLIES TO BOTH CONSUMER AND BUSINESS CUSTOMERS
7. We have no liability to You for any loss or damage You suffer that arises as a result of Us following any drawing, design, instruction or specification provided by You for Bespoke Products or otherwise.
8. Nothing in these Terms limit or exclude Our liability for:
(a) death or personal injury caused by Our negligence;
(b) fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation;
(c) breach of the terms implied by section 10 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (title and quiet possession); or (d) defective products under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
9. Subject to clause 13.8, we will under no circumstances whatsoever be liable to You, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, restitution or otherwise, arising under or in connection with the Contract for:
(a) any loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
(b) loss or corruption of data, information or software;
(c) loss of business opportunity;
(d) loss of anticipated savings;
(e) loss of goodwill; or
(f) any indirect or consequential loss.
10. Subject to clause 13.8 and clause 13.9 Our liability to You in respect of all other losses arising under or in connection with the Contract, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, shall in no circumstances exceed three times the price of the Products to which the liability relates.
11. Except as expressly stated in these Terms, we do not give any representation, warranties or undertakings in relation to the Products. Any representation, condition or warranty which might be implied or unincorporated in these Terms by statute, common law or otherwise is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. In particular, We will not be responsible for ensuring that the Products are suitable for Your purposes, where the Products are to be used for a purpose other than the purpose for which they are commonly supplied.
WARRANTY DISCLAIMERS & EXCLUSIONS
1. Ecohardwood promises to investigate each complaint on individual merit. Provided that the complaint is solely attributable to a manufacturing fault and the correct fitting instructions and maintenance of the boards have been fully adhered to.
2. Colour variations in flooring are a natural occurrence due to species, age, character of flooring and exposure to UV light or sunlight. For these reasons, new and/or replacement flooring may not match display samples and/or existing flooring.
3. Natural wood characteristics such as variations in grain, colour, mineral streaks, knots, normal differences between colour of samples and the colour of installed ﬂoors, and colour variations from board to board are not considered defects.
4. Changes in colour due to aging, excessive moisture, exposure to sunlight or Ultra Violet rays (which may cause oxidation of ﬁnish/stain) are not considered a defect. Engineered hardwood is a natural product as seen in its colour and structural variations. Colours or shades will change depending on the age of wood and surface gloss phase. Over time, the colour of wood naturally changes when exposed to light. While direct sunlight causes the greatest amount of change, even the lightning in a home can affect the colour of the wood. Depending on the intensity in which the ﬂoor is exposed to the sun, lighter wood turns darker, while darker wood typically becomes lighter (especially during the ﬁrst 3-4 months). Area rugs should be occasionally rotated, as they block sunlight and may give the appearance of discoloration under the rug. No thermal blocking carpets are allowed on the ﬂoor.
5. Colour, shade, or texture variations between samples, printed colour photography or replacement ﬂooring and the actual material, as well as colour variations between product(s) and/or samples and other ﬂooring or wood products, which you wish to match (e.g., cabinets, stair railings, trim, etc.) are not considered defects.
6. Your flooring requires maintenance. Please follow the instructions that are recommended by Ecohardwood
7. The ingress of sand and or dust on to the floor should be prevented by installing a suitable mat by the entrance door(s).
8. Liability arising from this WARRANTY is restricted to hidden defects. These are defects that were not visible before or during the installation of the floor.
9. The WARRANTY can only be invoked if the surface wear layer area damaged for each board is greater than 1 sq.cm. Oil wear is not classed as surface damage as this represents additional protection and is subject to correct maintenance practices / periodic re-application.
10. The surface wear layer represents additional protection to the timber and is not a structural element therefore subject to a 12mth WARRANTY
11. Ecohardwood reserves the right and must be offered the opportunity to inspect the complaint and, where applicable, to inspect the floor in its installed condition.
12. This WARRANTY is on a sliding scale. When it is applied, account must be taken of a fractional reduction in value caused by wear and tear of 1 part per year. i.e. a 10-year WARRANTY = 10 parts.
13. These limited warranties do not cover conditions caused due to incorrect installations, done in a way that is contrary to the ECOHARDWOOD installation instructions.
14. These limited warranties do not cover conditions caused by improper use, or maintenance, such as:
- Reduction in gloss, marks, scuffs, scratches, gouges, dents or cuts, including, without limitation, those caused by pets. A doormat must be placed by the entrance door to prevent dirt and sand damage to product(s).
- Damage caused by negligence, accidents, misuse, or abuse (i.e. dragging objects across the ﬂoor without proper protection or damage from impact of falling objects).
- Wear caused by pebbles, sand or other abrasives, construction trafﬁc, or failure to maintain the ﬂoor as required (please, see our Maintenance Guidelines).
- Damage caused by caster wheels or vacuum cleaner beater bars.
- Failure to support furniture legs with the felt patches.
- A stiletto heal can concentrate as much as 2,000 pounds per square inch on the floor. Walking on any wood surface with stiletto heels will cause indentations which are not covered by the WARRANTY.
- Splits, cracks, grain raising, checking, edge fracturing, splintering or chipping that occurs after the product(s) has been installed and as a result of abuse, misuse, improper maintenance or care, exposure to excessive moisture or improper environmental conditions (i.e. low or high humidity) are not covered by these limited warranties. The use of a humidiﬁer/dehumidiﬁer may be necessary to maintain the proper humidity level between 40%-60%. The average temperature must be between +18° and +24°C. Expansion and contraction of product(s) caused by low or excessive humidity with the changing of the seasons is normal and may have a cupping effect that is not covered by these warranties. Small cracks or damages that develop from improper humidiﬁcation or dehumidiﬁcation, improper moisture control, and excessive drying are not covered by these warranties. If under ﬂoor heating is used, the maximum daily temperature increase should be 5°C per day. Maximum ﬂoor surface temperature may not exceed +24°c and room temperature + 27°C.
- Damage caused by ﬁre, ﬂooding, and other natural disasters such as earthquake(s) and Acts of God.
- Normal wearing of the ﬁnish in high trafﬁc areas, pivot-points and seating areas.
- Deﬁciencies related to subﬂoor/ﬂoor joist assemblies, subﬂoor preparation materials including, but not limited to, uneven subﬂoor surfaces, ﬂoor deﬂection or voids in the subﬂoor. The subﬂoor is the responsibility of the Owner. Failure of our product(s) relating to the subﬂoor, in any manner, is not the responsibility of Ecohardwood and is not covered by these warranties;
- Noises including, but not limited to, squeaks, popping, etc.
- A product(s) deformity that is not measurable or that is visible only under certain light or from a certain angle is not considered a defect and is therefore not covered by these warranties. Visible defects should be evaluated by their visibility from a standing position in normal lighting.
- Floors damaged by subﬂoor moisture or water damage, including without limitation, due to broken or leaking water pipes, ﬂooding, wet-mopping spills or weather conditions. Any water must be removed from product(s) as soon as possible.
- Insect’s infestation after installation.
- Damage resulting from an application of ﬁnishes other than recommended by Ecohardwood, including reﬁnishing or recoating.
Should you feel that you have to make a claim, you should contact your retailer/Ecohardwood as soon as the complaint is noticed. A proof of purchase is necessary to process your claim quickly and efficiently.